Research as an Undergrad: A Balancing Act
It seems like every professor, tutor, and upperclassman tells us undergraduates that the key to success in college is time management. And we undergrads try our best, but between managing research, multiple classes, a social life, and a healthy lifestyle, it gets difficult. This is especially relevant for new students: adjusting to a demanding university lifestyle. One trap that we often fall into is studying last minute and panicking over how to succeed in an exam. Often times, we let our own stress consume us and end up doing worse on the exam than we could have done. Below, I have included some tips of how to prepare for exams amidst a demanding schedule.
Before the Exam
- Review from class slides, paying attention to areas that were emphasized in lecture
- Be able to identify the objectives that you are supposed to learn from each lecture
- Create study groups early on, as these friends can help you throughout the quarter and right before exams
In Preparation For/During the Exam
- Throughout your studying, create 1 sheet of paper with hard concepts/review questions that you would like to review right before the exam to refresh your memory. Browse this sheet about an hour before your exam
- Set a specific time to stop studying before the exam, and make sure you reach the exam location with at least 5 minutes to spare
- Before going into the exam, take a deep a breath and realize that you have done everything you could to study, your exam is simply an opportunity to demonstrate your work in the course
- At the beginning of the exam, write down some quick notes of concepts/formulas that you might forget throughout the exam
- Preview the test, and see how you can allocate your time, attempting the easiest questions first
- Mark questions you are unsure about, and save time at the end of the exam to do a second pass of these questions
After the Exam
- Realize you’ve put your best foot forward, and there is no need to keep worrying over the results
- Celebrate in some way! Whether it be treating yourself to dessert or getting a massage at CAPS, you deserve it!